Montello Foundation is a foundation dedicated to support artists who foster our understanding of nature, its fragility and our need to protect it.
The design competition is for a structure providing space for contemplation and exhibitions near the village of Montello in Nevada.
The purpose of the structure is threefold:
1) House temporary exhibitions,
2) Create a place of rest and contemplation for travelers and the local community,
3) Provide a place to meet and exchange views and perceptions.
The exhibition space will be an enclosed area, approximately 250 sq ft (23 sq m), with natural light and sufficient wall space suitable for mounting flat artworks. As with the mission of the foundation, the proposed structure will convey a conceptual and physical focus on the fragility of nature through exhibited works of art, as well as through its architecture.
The place of rest and contemplation can be either part of the exhibition space, or a separate structure. In either case, it will have a critical relation with the exterior environment, engaging one both physically and intellectually towards the sagebrush and the mountains. Here, as elsewhere in the structure, visitors are engaged in the conceptual theme of nature’s fragility. This structure does not need to be enclosed; however, some amount of protection from the extremes of the climate is essential, particularly when considered as a place of rest.
- The competition is open to architecture students of all countries, undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Competitors may enter as a team with a maximum of five people in a team.
- The competition teams may include students from different fields, but an architecture student, designated as Team Coordinator, is required.
- Team Coordinator will be the point person in terms of contact regarding issues related to the competition, i.e., Team Coordinator is responsible for sending and responding to all correspondence in a timely manner.
1st place, awarded US $2500,
2nd place, awarded US $1000, and
3 Special Mentions, awarded US $500 each.
The Montello Foundation will post ALL submissions on its website, noting the winning schemes, as well as comments from the jury.
- Benjamin Aranda of Aranda\Lasch
-Ali Hocek of ACHA New York
- Susanne Wagner of Bauereignis Sütterlin Wagner Berlin
-one member of the board of the Montello Foundation, tbd
-one representative of the village of Montello, tbd.
Registration: $50.00 per team
Late registration: $90.00 per team
Registration (regular fee) deadline: February 11, 2018
Registration (late fee) deadline: March 4, 2018
Deadline for proposals submission: March 18, 2018
Announcement of results and final jury report: April 30, 2018
Related Website : http://www.montellofoundation.org/competition.htm